QUESTIONS FOR SERMON APPLICATION AND REFLECTION
for the week of August 2: 1 Thessalonians 4:9-12
1. What does it mean that the Thessalonians have been “taught by God” to love one another? Was this direct divine revelation? What might this say about Paul’s doctrine of the Holy Spirit and doctrine of the Word of God?
2. Is Paul’s reference in 4:10 to the love the Thessalonians are showing to the Macedonians connected to their “labor of love” in 1:3? If not, why not? If so, what might this tell us about the specific behavior of the Thessalonians towards the Macedonians? How are you part of Christ Baptist’s efforts to show love beyond our body?
3. What does it look like for Christians to “live quietly and mind your own affairs?”
4. 1 Thessalonians 4:12 says that we should work “…so that you may walk properly before /win the respect of outsiders”. What evidence is there that you work in this way? How might you work in this way?
5. Does all work matter to God? Why? Why not?
for the week of July 26: 1 Thessalonians 4:1-8
1. If Paul was so sure that his work with the Thessalonians was not in vain (3:5-6) and that they are walking with and pleasing God (4:1), why does he need to tell them to abstain from sexual immorality (4:3)?
2. What does Paul mean when he says, “…because the Lord is an avenger in all these things”? (4:6) Does the Lord take vengeance against his own people for their sin? Is this the same as condemnation? (cf. Romans 8:1)
3. Reflect on God’s demand of purity and holiness. What does/should that look like for you? How are you working out this part of your faith in fear and trembling (Phil. 2:12-13) before God?
4. In 4:8, after reminding the Thessalonians that their sin is an act of disregarding God, why does he add, “who gives his Holy Spirit to you”? What purpose might this serve in Paul’s word of instruction?
Knowing God by J.I. Packer
The Good News We Almost Forgot by Kevin DeYoung
Thinking Against the Grain by N. Allan Moseley
The Cross of Christ by John Stott
International Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention
North Carolina Baptist State Convention